A Postcard from Huddersfield's Refreshers

Dear Reader,

I hope this postcard finds you well. Last week I got a slight taste of what it's like to be a Huddersfield student, though by my friend's standards it was incredibly tame so there's a sequel on the cards.

Jumping on the First Transpennine Express service to Newcastle, I jumped off at Huddersfield. My immediate thoughts were how much colder it is here (geographical no brainer really) and how to actually get off the platform.

Wandering through the winter lit town I met Emily within Huddersfield, the trip itself had two purposes: to finally meet her boyfriend (the compulsory approval) and to see Seann Walsh. Being the classy girls that we are we had tea in Wetherspoons, ordering with our eyes as opposed to how much we could actually handle is always a common mistake of ours, but having been out the night before I happily ate as much as I could get. Two curries and six drinks later we left for the Lawrence Batley Theatre - an absolutely stunning building. Though on the way Reuben (Emily's boyfriend) treated/tested me to Wray and Nephew's Rum - lethal and delicious.


As part of my Christmas present Emily had bought us tickets to her University's 'HudComedy' Refresher's event, the line up included: Adam Vincent Rowe, Anthony J Brown, Fern Brady, Mark Simmons and Seann Walsh.

Back by popular demand Adam Rowe compered the evening. In all honesty I've always intended to visit Manchester's Comedy Store but have never got round to it so this evening's show would be breaking my live comedy virginity. As opposed to feeling disappointed after the premature and over anticipated moment, my deflowerment was an absolute scream.

Though, unfortunately, there were the stereotypical audience members who are either that desperate for attention that they heckle at every given opportunity, or those who crave the comedian's attention that much that they make completely random noises or comments in order to make sure everyone's attention is entirely on them. Tonight's featured a student and 'owner' of a record label, he made sure we all knew - I know, I'm rolling my eyes too.

Compere extraordinaire: Adam Rowe 
Phoenix Night's Anthony J Brown - mid microphone stroke
Fern, you don't look like a Hammer Head Shark
The audience actually played Chinese Whispers, and failed. Quite badly.
All the comedians were brilliant, they really were. Anthony J Brown was on first and definitely the oddest. He continuously caressed the microphone stand with the tips of his fingers whilst his monotone voice droned to the crowd. He reminded me of Salad Fingers. His act definitely left a few people quite scared but the dry sense of humor won the crowd over.
We loved Fern Brady and Mark Simmons, if you do get the chance to see them at any point, please do. At one point Simmons, to quote Walsh, "looked like he was taking a shit" due to his height.

Mark Simmons AKA Big Bird
The headlining act Seann Walsh lived up to his TV personality reputation, though in the process of balancing on a table he nearly broke his phone screen on stage. The beauty of live entertainment.


I've just realised that me and Seann Walsh have the same hair. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Until next time Hud.

Elise

PS - All credit for the featured photographs during the gig go to Huddersfield's Student Union. Also, for those of you interested, I did approve of Emily's boyfriend - he's really nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment